At North Town Primary School and Nursery, we understand the impact reading has on children’s progress across the curriculum and strongly believe that reading is the most important skill that children can master. We are passionate about providing our children with the best start to their academic journey and strive to ensure all children become confident, literate readers and writers.
Phonics provides the foundations of learning to make the development into fluent reading and writing easier. For children to become competent readers and writers, it is essential that they have a secure understanding of the letter sounds and spelling system of the English language and develop the key skills of segmenting and blending. Phonics skills and knowledge are developed through planned, systematic phonics lessons, which are of high priority throughout the EYFS and KS1. It is our intention that all children develop the key knowledge and skills, which enable them to enjoy a variety of books and access information independently.
Our primary aims are:
· To develop a love of books including stories, poems, non-fiction and fiction texts.
· To develop phonetic skills which lead to fluency when blending and reading.
· To establish consistent practice, progression and continuity in the teaching and learning of phonics and spelling throughout the school.
· To give children strategies that will enable them to become fluent and confident readers and writers.
· To promote confidence and positive attitudes to reading.
· To monitor each child’s progress using a range of assessment strategies; supporting those who are progressing slowly in acquiring reading skills through personalised interventions.
At North Town Primary School and Nursery we follow the Read Write Inc phonics programme. Phonics teaching starts in our Nursery where the children begin building their phonological awareness through songs, rhymes, stories, music and listening games. In the Summer Term, before starting school, our Nursery children begin learning letter sounds and oral blending using the RWI programme, which is then built upon throughout Reception, Key Stage One and into Key Stage Two where needed. Read Write Inc (RWI) is a consistent, rigorous and dynamic literacy programme to teach EVERY child to read. The children learn to read and write fluently so that they can focus on developing their skills in comprehension, vocabulary and spelling. Through RWI phonics children learn a simple alphabetic code followed by a more complex code. All reading books progress cumulatively, matched to the sounds children are learning and already know. The approach is systematic and is carefully structured into phases – Set 1, Set 2 and Set 3.
The aim is for all children to have fluent reading skills, developing comprehension and good foundations for spelling by the end of Key Stage 1.