Mental Health and Wellbeing
“Mental health is a state of well-being in which every individual realises his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community.” (World Health Organisation)
At North Town Primary School and Nursery, we aim to promote positive mental health for every child and every member of staff. We pursue this aim using universal whole school approaches and selected and targeted approaches for the more vulnerable.
In addition to promoting positive mental health, we aim to recognise and respond to mental ill health. In an average classroom, three children will be suffering from diagnosable mental health issue. By developing and implementing practical, relevant and effective mental health policies and procedures we can promote a safe and stable environment for children affected both directly and indirectly by mental ill health.
At our school, we aim to promote positive mental health and wellbeing of every member of our school community and recognise how important mental health and wellbeing is to our lives, as is physical health. We recognise that children’s mental health and overall wellbeing can affect their learning and achievement.
We aim to:
- Promote positive mental health in all staff and pupils
- Increase understanding and awareness of common mental health issues
- Alert staff to early warnings of mental health
- Provide support to staff working with pupils with mental health issues
- Provide information for pupils and families about how to promote positive mental health
- Reduce the stigma surrounding mental health issues
- Provide support to pupils and their families when a pupil, member of the family or friend is suffering mental ill health
Everyone will need support at different times and in different ways, so we are to help.
Heidi Screech – Designated Safeguarding Lead and Senior Mental Health Lead
Rebecca Hampshire – SENDCO
Gillian Ford – Thrive Practitioner and Mental Health First Aider
Elaine Duley- PFSA and Mental Health First Aider